Sunday, August 2, 2009

Secrets

I am a big fan of PostSecret. I think Frank Warren was a genius for starting this, so every Sunday, I look forward to seeing the new ones that he's posted on his blog.

This week, one of them gave me pause.



I've been thinking about it for a while now. What exactly does it mean to be bored with atheism?

Is life boring because you feel it has no deeper meaning? Does the person feel the world shallow without a god? Is it uncomfortable to lack ritual?

I am sort of tangentially atheist. Yes, I'm atheist and proud of my desire to learn more about the universe and my insistence that nothing should go unchecked...but I don't define myself by it. I am simply Mark the aspiring math teacher, the musician, and perhaps someday the superstar blogger but I don't see myself as Mark, the atheist.

This is not to say it isn't right to do so...I just don't have the desire to myself.

So, I don't understand why someone would become bored with atheism. Is there really nothing else to do during the day besides not believe in the existence of a god? Is it that time consuming? I have shit to do! Classes to teach, video games to play, blogs to post...I've got enough to keep me occupied that I don't see the need to spend three hours a week in a church...or a monastery (yes? no?) if the picture is any hint as to the religion.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you are feeling bored with life, read a book or go outside and play.

1 comment:

  1. I don't understand why someone would become bored with atheism, either. Atheism is so much fun. We constantly get writings of theists on the internet and make fun of them. Laughing at arguments made by dogmatic Christians can make an ordinary day an extraordinary one. hahaha

    Laughing is healthy, BTW.

    ReplyDelete